Cultural Practice is the magazine of the Institute for Cultural Practices (ICP) at the University of Manchester. The magazine was launched in April 2020 to publish critical reflections related to issues and challenges that COVID-19 and the lockdown presented for arts and culture in the UK and abroad. However, the magazine has since evolved and widened to encourage ideation and discussion between researchers, academics, industry professionals and students working under the theme of cultural practices.
[Image:Painted bee pebble, Manchester Together Archive]
Call for Contributions: “Refresh, Reevaluate, Reconnect”
In line with the arrival of the new year, the editorial team would like to dedicate the next issue of Cultural Practice to the subject of change. As evident from previous contributions, 2020 has been a momentous year for the sector and has transformed the way we approach and experience arts and culture. Therefore, we invite researchers and practitioners to reflect on ideas of change with contributions that address the desire to “refresh, re-evaluate or reconnect” in the broadest sense. Topics may include (but are not limited to):
- Inter-institutional and collaborative projects that promote a new or different perspective;
- Projects/Research that focus on regenerating lost connections, relationships and/or inclusion;
- Initiatives and discussions that explore new approaches to policy and practice;
- Approaches to collaboration that engage in new or alternative tools and methods;
- The use of digital technologies or other forms of media to promote new relations and communication practices;
- Reflections on potential lessons learnt from the experiences of the past year;
- Discussions on new and emerging trends, movements and fields that could shape cultural practices in 2021.
We welcome/encouraged different formats of contributions that may include (but are not limited to):
- Social media content;
- Online conversations;
Please send proposals c300 words to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th February 2021. Please include also the following:
- 100-word biography
- institution/company (if appropriate)
Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance by 1st March 2021. We aim to publish Refresh, Reevaluate, Reconnect in April 2021.
The Contributor’s Guidelines are available here.